Even though beds are one of the most used pieces of furniture in the house, they’re not cleaned nearly as often as other household surfaces.
And considering most of us sweat in our bed every night, that’s kind of weird, right?
If you’re like me, you never had anyone teach you how to clean a mattress, so you don’t do it as often as you should.
Luckily, learning how to deep clean your mattress is easy. And if you have a carpet cleaner on hand, you can get started right away.
Here’s how to clean a mattress with carpet cleaner.
How to Clean Your Mattress with a Carpet Shampooer
When it is time to clean your mattress, you have many options available, but one of the best ways to clean your mattress is with a carpet shampooer. You can rent carpet shampooers at many grocery, convenience, or hardware stores.
Once you have your carpet cleaner follow these steps to clean your mattress:
Prep Work: Before you start shampooing, remove all bedding and your mattress protector. Thoroughly vacuum your mattress and then lean it against a wall. Placing the mattress against the wall will prevent it from absorbing too much water when you shampoo it.
Here’s what to do next:
- Fill your shampooer’s tank with hot water and carpet cleaner (The ratio should be about one cup of cleaning solution to every gallon of warm water but consult the cleaner directions for specific advice.)
- Turn on the shampooer and slowly clean each side of the mattress.
- When you finish, empty the tank and rinse it thoroughly.
After you’ve shampooed, allow the mattress to dry for at least 3-4 hours. Once fully dry, place it back on your bed frame and put your bedding back on.
Important stain removal resources:
How to Clean Your Mattress with Carpet Cleaner (And No Steam Cleaner or Shampooer)
Using a shampooer works great to clean your mattress. But what if you don’t have access to one? No worries, you can clean your mattress using a store-bought carpet cleaner.
To clean your mattress without the use of a steam cleaner or shampooer, follow these directions:
Prep work: Start by removing your bedding and thoroughly vacuuming the mattress. Afterward, place the mattress against the wall. Doing so will prevent it from becoming oversaturated when you’re cleaning. (The excess water/cleaner will run off of the mattress instead of being soaked into it.)
- Apply carpet cleaner to a sponge or microfiber cloth, but do not oversaturate it.
- Rub in circular motions on stained areas.
- Allow this mixture to sit for five minutes, then wipe up excess moisture with a dry cloth.
- Allow your mattress to air out for up to 24 hours before using it again.
After the mattress is fully dry, you can put it back on the bed frame and put your bedding back on it.
Can You Clean Pee from a Mattress with Carpet Cleaner?
One of the most common questions people have is, “Can you clean pee from a mattress with carpet cleaner?” Yes, you can use a carpet cleaner to remove the smell of urine from your mattress.
Following the steps above, using a carpet shampooer or bottle of carpet cleaner should get the pee out of your mattress.
However, if you don’t have carpet cleaner on hand, you can try the following method:
- Mix one part white vinegar, two parts water, and a couple of drops of tea tree oil.
- Apply this mixture to the mattress with a sponge or cloth until it is damp but not wet.
- Allow it to sit for five minutes, then wipe away excess moisture with a dry cloth.
- Allow the mattress to air dry completely before putting it back on your bed frame. You can also add baking soda or activated charcoal powder, which will help absorb any remaining odor from the urine.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use a carpet cleaner on a memory foam mattress?
A memory foam mattress is made from multiple layers of foam and is not safe to clean with a carpet cleaner. This is because the carpet cleaner and water will seep into the memory foam, causing mold and deterioration.
Instead of using a carpet cleaner on your memory foam mattress, try a carpet steamer. A steamer will reduce the amount of moisture used.
Can you use carpet cleaner on a pillow-top mattress?
Yes, you can use a carpet cleaner on a pillow-top mattress, but you must be careful. Pillow-top mattresses have multiple layers of fabric and padding. Therefore, it’s important not to oversaturate the mattress so that water doesn’t seep past the first layer.
An easy way to prevent this from happening is to lean your pillow-tap mattress against a wall when you deep clean it. This will force extra moisture to run off the mattress instead of soaking into it.
What causes yellow stains on a mattress?
Yellow stains are usually the result of sweat that your mattress has absorbed. This happens if you or your partner sweats a lot at night. Yellow stains could also result from urine.
Where can I donate an old mattress?
If you have an old mattress that is in good shape, you can donate it to the Salvation Army or Furniture Bank Network. If your mattress is in bad condition, you find a recycling center for it by searching on Earth911.
For those wondering how to clean a mattress with carpet cleaner, it’s pretty easy to do. The most important steps to take are to lean your mattress against the wall and use cleaner sparingly. This will get your mattress fresh and clean without causing water damage.